24 September 2012

September Secret Recipe Club: Classic Foolproof Fudge


September is almost over. While I'm embracing fall completely, I'm going to the beach this weekend. Yep. That's right. I'm heading to the beach on Friday. Everyone else has made their summer vacations, but mine will start (and end) this weekend at the beach. It's why the recipe I chose for my Secret Recipe Club post fits perfectly this week!

I was assigned the blog Life and Kitchen, hosted by the fabulous Lindsay. Her blog is definitely for her fans, but it's mostly focused as a resource for her daughter when she grows older. Like a journal through the kitchen. Very fun.

Lindsay posted fudge earlier this month to say goodbye to summer, the beach, and vacation. I'm posting it to say hello. Though this recipe is ridiculously simple, I found myself playing the fool in this Classic Foolproof Fudge. That's right. I overcooked the chocolate. I used baking powder instead of baking soda. I used Kosher salt instead of table salt. And ya know what. It was still awesome. I managed to pull out about half of the baking powder and replace it with baking soda and the big flakes of salt actually improved the fudge and made it more of a salted chocolate. Awesome. So yes, this fudge is indeed, foolproof. 



Classic Foolproof Fudge
barely adapted from Lindsay at Life and Kitchen, originally from Cooks Illustrated

14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (chopped fine)*
16 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Mix the chocolate with baking soda and salt. Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Melt the mixture in bowl over boiling water (or in double-boiler) until mostly melted. Stir frequently so as not to burn it. Take it off the heat and keep stirring until smooth. Pour into a greased baking pan and cool in the fridge for 2+ hours.

THOUGHTS:
*Okay, I need to tell you a story. A ganache story. The first time I made ganache I swore I'd never every make it again. I made ganache as an icing for Tabitha's birthday cake and painstakingly shaved every bit of chocolate. It took me two hours! Two hours! As I was complaining to her two days later (I couldn't complain about it the same day I served it to her!), she asked me why I used a knife instead of just throwing the chocolate into my food processor. I made up some excuse, probably saying I didn't want to dull the blades of my food processor. But honestly, it hadn't crossed my mind to use my mini food processor. The reason it took me so long is that I took the phrase "chopped finely" very seriously and made my chocolate pieces uber tiny. About a year later I had my mind blown when I watched a cooking show and saw someone actually make ganache. I don't remember who the host was, but their "chopped finely" in no way resembled my "chopped finely." Their pieces were way larger than the big Ghiradelli chocolate chips. Since then I have learned that chocolate will melt fairly easily, even if you don't get the pieces perfectly tiny. The moral of my story? Aim for chocolate chip size, but don't fret if your pieces are a little larger. 

As far as the recipe goes: Um, yes, please. I'll take more of that. Oh, and others too, yeah, they'll eat it!

VERDICT: 
Two-thumbs-up: 6 votes!


16 comments:

  1. Awesome choice of recipe! I wish I was headed to the beach myself, but I'll have to just drool all over your fudge and dream about the sea!

    ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe choice! I think this is very close to my grandmother's fudge recipe, which is indeed foolproof! Looks delicious, and sooo chocolatey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your time at the beach - sound like fun! I made your fanned potatoes for this month's SRC and my kids have been loving them! I actually made them with both Sweet Potatoes and Russet Potatoes several times already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked the fudge! I loved it, too. Have fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo I've always wanted to make fudge! This looks so good and sounds way easier than I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so yummy. I'm going to ear-mark this recipe for holiday time. Great idea to give teachers. Fellow Group D SRC member

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I've never actually made chocolate fudge before as I've been too scared. Perhaps I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to make fudge! Great to find a foolproof recipe...great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, will have to tuck this one away for the holidays! I love fudge, but have always been afraid to make it. Glad to hear this is truly foolproof :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo! I've never made fudge, but I so want to now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fudge and the beach...sounds like an awesome weekend! Have fun!!! This does look super easy to make...and I love the thought of salted chocolate:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Foolproof? That's my kinda recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh... you're getting me excited for winter foods! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm. This makes me think of fudge and all the other great treats at the fair! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooo the salt in there. salt brings out the best in it. maybe a cinnamon too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Comments allow me to see what you like and and encourage me to write more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...