26 March 2012

Secret Recipe Club: Homemade Fajita Seasoning



I used to love making those layered sand thingys!
It's Secret Recipe Club time! Believe it or not, I have four dishes ready to go on the blog, but have failed in the writing-it-up stage. I seem to have writer's block. Or at least, that's what I'm calling my I'm-too-busy-obsessing-over-house-hunting-to-focus-on-anything-else brain. :) But alas, Secret Recipe Club beckoned and I temporarily came out of my house obsession to make some scrumptious food!

Secret Recipe Club comes around once a month on my blog, but you can check out Secret Recipe Club creations 4 Mondays a month! Are you a blogger interested in joining in the fun? Sign up here!

I have to admit I was quite intimidated when I saw the blog I was assigned: Anne Jisca's Healthy Pursuits! This woman is pretty amazing. She grinds her own flours and her normal kitchen stock is incredible. One day I'll be like her! I drooled over Anne's breads (spelt biscuits, Hearty Harvest Bread, Rye Bread, Spelt Bread), and came thisclose to making her granola bars. I'll definitely have to try out her recipe when I finally decide I'm ready to make granola bars!

So what did I go for? A recipe where I had everything in the pantry! Woot! I love it when that happens! I was also able to tie it into a Double Take with Tabitha. I love multi-tasking recipes! Almost as much as I love spice rubs! So yes, I picked a spice rub-ish. We'll call this one a spice mix :)


All Shook Up!

Homemade Fajita Seasoning

2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp red pepper flakes

Combine ingredients in an air-tight container. Two heaping tablespoons is equivalent to one packet.

THOUGHTS:
I modified my fajita seasoning because I was using the crock pot and cooking the chicken directly in chicken broth, so I did not need chicken bouillon. Also, I left out the cornstarch because I wasn't sure how it would hold up in the crock pot. If someone else knows, do let me in on your secrets!

In the future, I would stick to Anne's use of the fajita seasoning rather than going for shredded chicken in the crock pot. Check out her original post for the recipe and directions! Also, I think the mix would make an excellent rub on grilled chicken for tacos. The fajita seasoning has a nice balance of flavors. If you like heat on your fajitas, feel free to double the cayenne and/or red pepper flakes.



VERDICT:
The-fajita-seasoning-is-a-hit: 2 votes!

Pulled Chicken Tacos with Queso Blanco, Tomatoes, Lettuce, and Salsa

14 comments:

  1. Hey! I looove your picture of the seasoning in layers! So pretty!! :). Thanks for doing such a great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making my own seasonings, it is so much healthier than all the store bought mixes! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a handy thing to have around! I know I would sure use this up a LOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Can't wait to make this. The homemade seasoning mixes are so much healthier than store bought filled with additives, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've pinned your recipe. I can't wait to make a batch of this to cook with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always keep homemade taco seasoning in my pantry, but I'll have to try this fajita seasoning out soon to change my seasonings up a bit. I bet it would be awesome on grilled chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep meaning to make something like this...
    Love your layered picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making taco or fajita seasoning. So much better if you know what's in it. I don't use bouillion or cornstarch in mine. I put coriander and oregano in mine too. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these would be a great homemade holiday gift idea - at least, i know that i'd love to receive it as a gift! glad to meet you through the SRC - i'm a fellow group D'er! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great to have on hand for any Mexican dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fajita's so I bet this is just amazing on them. What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your photos. It looks cool in layers and nice and spicy all mixed up. Sound like a great mix to have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you layered the seasoning at first! very cool looking

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love homemade seasonings. they just taste better than store bought mixes. well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! Comments allow me to see what you like and and encourage me to write more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...