|Baked Caprese Salad|
|Ain't nothin' better than a juicy tomato.|
So I perused The Adventures of an Epic Baker one last time and picked out the Baked Caprese Salad. I make something similar that I fondly call Cheesy Bread. But this recipe elevates Cheesy Bread to the next level. Yum. Of note, the grocery store was out of basil. And well, I haven't started my herb garden yet. Oops. I picked up parsley instead and loved the grassy, fresh taste. Would basil have been better? Of course!
After reading the author's comments, I made several small tweaks. Enjoy!
|Tomatoes on toast? Yes, please!|
Baked Caprese Salad
lightly adapted from The Adventures of an Epic Baker
6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
5 thick slices Italian bread
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush olive oil on bread on one side in an even layer. Bake for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from oven and turn the oven to broil.
- Layer lightly salted chopped tomatoes and torn mozzarella pieces on the bread pieces, piling your ingredients to the height of your liking. Lightly salt and pepper the cheese.
- Return to the oven until the cheese is melted (your oven is on broil, start checking after one minute!). If you prefer your cheese bubbly and brown, go for it! Sprinkle liberally with herb of your choice and serve.
There is something about tomatoes and mozzarella that just makes my belly happy.
It's-delicious-but-I-should-have-added-garlic: 1 vote!
|Cheesy, tomatoey goodness!|